Saturday, October 6, 2007

Exhibition Against Toronto

OK, so I admit I was slightly worried when Tech couldn't even light up Toronto once in the first period, but I reminded myself that it was the first game of the season, and we are supposed to be more of a second and third period team.

And indeed, that thought still seems to hold true. 7 goals later, I walked away pretty impressed with the team's overall effort. Toronto's goalie, with some luck here and there, kept his team in the game for the first period and half or so, but I knew our team had found their legs after back-to-back goals 21 seconds apart in the second.

There was a lot of nice passing and puck movement going on (I never realized just how much I missed the sound of a crisp pass until tonight). The PP/PK units looked pretty good (PP looked better than last season anyway), though I reminded myself that Toronto is a CIS team, therefore not a great test of either.

Because I was frequently busy trying to locate sheet music and band quickies, I only got to see a couple of freshmen on the ice. Cousens definitely made his presence felt, and I got to see Royer play too, including his goal that put Tech up 5-0. I'm told by others who were able to watch the game more intently that both Baker and Kattelus also played hard. So the freshman class clearly holds a lot of promise.

As for the goalie situation, both Teslak and Nolan played well in spite of facing long stretches with the puck on the opposite end of the ice (where it belongs! :D) and very few shots. Teslak absolutely stoned a Toronto player who had what I consider to be their only serious opportunity to spoil the shutout.

I can't really think of anything else to write, so in summary I would say that this team definitely looks pretty good on the ice to start the season, and I'm sure they will look even better after some games against tougher competition.

Bring it eNeMa U. :P

2 comments:

MeanEgirl said...

Oh how nice it was to be back in hockey arena with a full Section L.

Regardless of whatever the people in band thought last night, the band sounded GREAT. You guys NAILED Bohemian Rhapsody. :)

FadeToBlack&Gold said...

Good to hear, considering that I was effectively sight-reading it, as I can't make rehearsals this semester.

How "realistic" does the 'THX Effect' sound from the crowd's perspective?